A leading specialist in endovascular medicine with experience in vascular and interventional radiology, Dr. Sergei Sobolevsky has decades of experience in the field. Using real-time imaging technology for precise navigation during minimally invasive interventions, he’s adept at diagnosing and treating a range of conditions. From his modern facility at the Downtown Vein & Vascular Center in Brooklyn, Dr. Sobolevsky offer discrete but complete services. Call today for a consultation.
Who Is Dr. Sergei Sobolevsky?
Sergei Sobolevsky, MD is an endovascular specialist with extensive experience in image-guided minimally invasive medicine and vascular and interventional radiology. To provide the best possible care, he provides targeted, proven procedures with your safety and goals in mind.
At his practice, the Downtown Vein & Vascular Center, he and his dedicated team focus primarily on:
Dr. Sobolevsky has performed over 25,000 procedures. From his office in Downtown Brooklyn, he serves all of Brooklyn, including Brooklyn Heights, Boerum Hill, Clinton Hill, Cobble Hill, DUMBO, Fort Greene and the Navy Yard, as well as greater New York City. For the best vein and artery treatments or fibroids treatments, visit Dr. Sobolevsky at his state-of-the-art facility.
What Is Dr. Sobolevsky’s Educational Background and Professional Experience?
Dr. Sobolevsky’s educational background is as impressive as his professional career. He graduated in 1997 from the University of Colorado School of Medicine with his Doctor of Medicine (MD) degree. He received his specialty clinical training in vascular and interventional radiology at Harvard University. Later, he completed his MBA at the MIT Sloan School of Management to help him manage his practice better.
In between, he filled the years with hard work and dedication not only to his theoretical knowledge, but also to his practical skills. Some of his achievements include:
- Clinical training. He received surgical training at the Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital-New Brunswick. He then spent three additional years studying diagnostic radiology at the SUNY Downstate Medical Center. He completed his specialty training in Cardiovascular Interventional Radiology at the Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center of Harvard University in Boston.
- He’s been recognized as a Castle Connolly Top Doctor and named to the Top Doctors New York Metro Area in 2020, 2021 and 2022. While attending medical school, he received a prestigious award for the Best Western Medical Student Research.
- He has published extensively from his research, his expertise and his collaborations in many peer-reviewed journals.
- Licensed in multiple states. He has a license to practice in the State of New York, as well as in other states, including AL, AZ, CO, CT, IL, LA, MA, MI, KY, ND, NJ, PA, and TX.
- Board of Directors. He served on the Board of Directors at the New York Roentgen Ray Society in 2017, 2018 and 2019.
- Clinical advisor. He acts as a clinical advisor for the biomedical industry, serving Industrial Sonomechanics, Mosaic Penumbra, Draper, MonBaby, Salute and AmazingDoc.
- Professional teaching. At the Society of Interventional Radiology annual meeting in 2018, Sobolevsky taught several workshops. In 2013, he taught several courses at the Central Hospital in Vladikavkaz and at the Gercen Institute of Oncology in Russia.
- Invited lectures. He was invited to deliver presentations at numerous institutions in the US and abroad on his mastery of endovenous medicine and related topics.
Dr. Sobolevsky’s professional experience reflects his desire to deliver safe, sensible care while advancing his profession. In particular, he’s served as:
- Medical Director at the American Endovascular and Amputation Prevention Center in Brooklyn
- Chief of Vascular and Interventional Radiology at the Columbia University Medical Center in New York, NY
- Director of the New York State Comprehensive Center for Management of Hereditary Hemorrhagic Telangiectasia in New York, NY
- Chief of Image-Guided Medicine and Vascular and Interventional Radiology at Maimonides Medical Center in Brooklyn, NY
- Attending Physician in Vascular and Interventional Radiology at Mount Sinai Beth Israel Medical Center in New York, NY (formerly Continuum)
- Senior Vice President in Clinical and Regulatory Affairs at Artann Laboratories in North Brunswick, NJ
- Managing Physician at an ambulatory center dedicated to amputation prevention in Thornton, CO
Vascular and interventional radiology is a medical specialty that uses modern medical imaging and minimally invasive procedures to diagnose and treat a number of medical conditions. This specialty offers less invasive and traumatic treatment alternatives to the conventional surgical approach.
What Does Vascular and Interventional Radiology Treat?
Vascular and interventional radiology is a medical specialty that uses modern medical imaging and minimally invasive procedures to diagnose and treat a number of medical conditions. This specialty offers less invasive and traumatic treatment alternatives to the conventional surgical approach. By combining the expertise in radiology and surgery, Dr. Sobolevsky can treat arterial and vascular diseases and abnormalities, as well as uterine fibroids and other conditions.
As a diagnostic and assessment tool, radiology offers multiple ways to find and evaluate medical conditions. This field of medicine relies on medical imaging, such as x-rays, CT scans, MRIs, ultrasounds and fluoroscopy. If you have a circulation problem or an organ issue, seek alternatives before submitting to traditional surgical treatments. Vascular and interventional radiology treats a number of conditions, including:
- Varicose veins
- Spider veins
- Venous and arterial insufficiency
- Venous or arterial ulcers
- Bulging hand and arm veins
- Deep vein thrombosis
- Peripheral artery disease symptoms
- Fibroid pain and bleeding
- Severe menstrual cramps
- Erectile dysfunction due to arterial insufficiency
Dr. Sobolevsky and his expert team at the Downtown Vein & Vascular Center focus on you and your needs, from the initial diagnosis through your successful recovery. They will make sure to develop a treatment plan that’s the most appropriate for you.
What Treatment Procedures Does Dr. Sobolevsky Offer?
Experience in both diagnostic radiology and clinical medicine helps Dr. Sobolevsky determine the cause of your medical issues. Expertise in vascular and interventional radiology allows him to address the root cause of your symptoms. At his Brooklyn-based practice, he offers numerous treatment options, including:
- Endovascular therapy
- Sclerotherapy for spider veins and for varicose veins
- Vascular and arterial embolization
- Hemorrhoid embolization
- Uterine fibroid embolization
- Fallopian tube recanalization
To gather the necessary medical information and perform a procedure as safely as possible, Dr. Sobolevsky works in collaboration with skilled specialists in several clinical disciplines, including vascular surgeons who perform open bypass surgeries and gynecologists who perform hysterectomies,when indicated. With this multi-discipline approach, he ensures that you receive the maximum benefit. With his remarkable educational background and his real-world experience, he makes the treatment process easy and painless.
Are Patients Happy with His Work?
When searching for specialist in vascular and interventional radiology, you should always check patient reviews. A diagnostic radiology expert like Dr. Sobolevsky has a proven track record, as borne out by the positive reviews his patients have left. A few of the reviews regarding him and his practice include:
- "The Downtown Vein & Vascular Center is very professional, compassionate and knowledgeable. I would refer them to friends.” — Dolores M.
- “From the front desk staff to everyone else who interacted with me, I felt the care and concern. I was nervous and crying … and they reassured me, comforted me and waited for me to calm down before taking me to the back.” — Cheri T.
- "The doctor and staff were very professional and sweet. They listened to my questions attentively. Best experience ever!” — Hanna H.
Conditions affecting your veins, arteries, ovaries and other organs require thorough medical attention from a qualified professional. Contact Dr. Sobolevsky at the Downtown Vein & Vascular Center for the best care at the most reasonable prices.
Education and Clinical Training
MBA degree, Sloan School of Management at MIT, Boston, MA
Clinical Postgraduate Training:
- Fellow: Interventional Radiology, Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital, Harvard Medical School
- Resident: Diagnostic and Interventional Radiology, SUNY Downstate Medical Center
- Fellow: Nuclear Medicine, St. Luke’s – Roosevelt Hospital, Columbia University and Mount Sinai Health
- Resident: General Surgery, Robert Wood Johnson Medical Center, New Brunswick, NJ
Doctor of Medicine degree: University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver, CO
American Endovascular and Amputation Prevention, Brooklyn, NY
Outpatient endovascular practice dedicated to Limb Salvage
Outpatient Vascular Center, Thornton, CO
Outpatient endovascular practice dedicated to Limb Salvage
Director and Managing Physician
Columbia University Irving Medical Center, New York-Presbyterian Hospital, New York
Morgan Stanley Children’s Hospital of New York, Allen Pavilion Hospital, New York
Lawrence Hospital, Bronxville, New York, Two Outpatient Centers: Midtown Manhattan and Tarrytown, NY
Academic Health Care System
Chief, Division of Vascular and Interventional Radiology
HHT Center of Excellence at Columbia University Irving Medical Center, New York-Presbyterian Hospital and Morgan Stanley Children’s Hospital, New York
New York State Center for Excellence for Management of Patients with Osler-Weber-Rendu Syndrome
Maimonides Medical Center, Brooklyn, NY
Non-profit Hospital System
Chief, Division of Interventional Radiology and Image Guided Medicine and Surgery.
Director of Interventional Oncology Program.
Director of Comprehensive Multidisciplinary Liver Program.
Beth Israel Medical Center, St Luke’s Roosevelt Medical Center Long Island Hospital, Kings Highway Hospital, New York, NY
Conglomerate of Hospital Centers currently known as Mount Sinai Health
Attending Physician, Vascular and Interventional Radiology
Artann Laboratories, North Brunswick, NJ
Medical Device Company focused on mechanical imaging devices
Senior Vice President, Clinical and Regulatory Affairs
Research and Publications
Clinical Trial, National Institute of Health
Clinical Trial, National Cancer Institute
American Journal of Roentgelogy, 2007; 188:104
The Arab Journal of Interventional Radiology 2019; 3(01): 09-14
Radiofrequency Ablation for Lung Carcinomas: A Retrospective Review of a High-Risk Patient Population at a Community Hospital
The Arab Journal of Interventional Radiology 2018; 2(01): 14-19
Safety and Efficacy of Cryoablation of Renal Tumors in a High-Risk Patient Population at a Community Hospital
Journal of Vascular and Interventional Radiology, Volume 21, Issue 12, P1914-1915, December 2010
Inferior Vena Cava Filter Constrained by Displaced Fibrin Sheath Resulting in Failed Deployment
Journal of Vascular and Interventional Radiology, Volume 31, Issue 3, Supplement, S106, March 2020
Survival outcomes of elderly patients with hepatocellular carcinoma treated with loco-regional therapy: a 20-year single-center experience.
Journal of Vascular and Interventional Radiology, Volume 30, Issue 3, Supplement, S246, March 2019
TIPS check and revision in a freestanding outpatient facility: safety and efficacy
Journal of Vascular and Interventional Radiology, Volume 30, Issue 3, Supplement, S236, March 2019
Therapeutic thoracentesis for hospitalized patients with CHF exacerbation: is it warranted
Journal of Vascular and Interventional Radiology, Volume 30, Issue 2 , S136-S137, March 2019
The efficacy of culturing bile when placing percutaneous cholecystostomy tubes for acute cholecystitis.
Journal of Vascular and Interventional Radiology, Volume 29, Issue 4, S283, April 2018
The effect of renal cryoablation on kidney function outcomes: a retrospective review from a single center interventional oncology department.
Journal of Vascular and Interventional Radiology, Volume 26, Issue 2, S139
Prophylactic uterine artery embolization in patients with abnormal placental attachment: initial experience.
Journal of Vascular and Interventional Radiology, Volume 26, Issue 2, S210
Exploring the landscape of outpatient cosmetic interventional radiology: a new market for a new era
Journal of Vascular and Interventional Radiology, Volume 26, Issue 5, Pages e33–e103
Contemporary Review and Clinical Experience of Tract Closure Devices after CT-Guided Percutaneous Lung Biopsy
Journal of Vascular and Interventional Radiology, Volume 28, Issue 2, S200 – S201.
Radiofrequency ablation for primary lung carcinomas: a retrospective review at a community hospital.
Journal of Vascular and Interventional Radiology, Volume 27 Issue 3, S228
An Interventionalist’s Emergency: The Multidisciplinary Approach to Massive and Sub-massive Acute Pulmonary Embolism.
Pediatric Transplantation, Volume 23, Issue 7, November 2019
Evaluation of a three-session biliary dilation protocol following transplant-related biliary stricture in pediatric patients.
Yamada’s Atlas of Gastroenterology, Chapter 94
Interventional Radiology in Gastroenterology
Yamada’s Atlas of Gastroenterology, Chapter 139
Interventional Radiology in Gastroenterology
Radiological Society of North America 2015 Scientific Assembly and Annual Meeting, November 29 – December 4, 2015, Chicago IL.
.Laying the Foundation for Interventional Radiology (IR) in Underdeveloped Countries through the Strategic Use of Established Infrastructure and Workforce
Urology, Volume 58, Issue 6, P1059-1063, December 2001
In vitro trial of the pilot prototype of the prostate mechanical imaging system.
Genes Development, 1992 March: 6(3):497-510
The Rex system of bacteriophage Lambda: tolerance and altruistic cell death
Clinical Research, 54, Feb 1994
Comparative effects of Dexniguldipine, Verapamil, and Cyclosporine, A on Drug Accumulation and Cytotoxicity in Multidrug Resistant Human Small Cell Lung Cancer and Epidermoid Carcinoma Cells
Grand Rounds presentations at the following Institutions
On the following topics:
- Amputation Prevention in Severe Peripheral Artery Disease
- Management of Superficial Venous Insufficiency
- Complex Reconstructions in the Occlusive Venous Disease
- Cryoablation of the Renal Tumors
- Overview of Interventional Oncology
- Complex Percutaneous Biliary Reconstructions
- Recanalization of Fallopian Tubes
- Transvenous Intrahepatic portosystemic shunt – Advanced Indications and Techniques
- Transrectal and Transvaginal Approach in Biopsies and Drainages
- Neurolysis of the Celiac Plexus
- Management of Painful Osseous Metastatic Disease
- Complex Venous Reconstructions and Unusual Venous Access
- Transcatheter Management of Pulmonary Embolism
- Cryoablation and Radiofrequency Ablation of Lung Tumors
- Endocrinologic Diagnostic and Therapeutic Interventions
- Balloon Assisted Retrograde Transvenous Obliterations of Gastric Varices
- Running a Center of Excellence, Hereditary Hemorrhagic Telangiectasia
International Course Taught
Ablation and non-vascular devices Workshop
Society of Interventional Radiology Annual Meeting, 2018
Crossing Devices and Ablation hands on workshop
Society of Interventional Radiology Annual Meeting, 2018
Comprehensive Course in Image Guided Surgery
Moscow Medical University, Moscow, Russia 2012
X-Ray Surgery Master Course
Central Hospital Vladikavkaz, Russia, 2013
Interventional Oncology Master course
Gercen Institute of Oncology, Moscow, Russia, 2013
Education and Training
Downtown Vein Treatment Center
480 Court Street, Ste 101
Brooklyn, NY 11231